Apr 17, 2015
You can create a list in Microsoft SharePoint by importing an Excel spreadsheet file, if your data is already in a spreadsheet format. When you create a list from a spreadsheet, the headings become columns in the list, and the rest of the data is imported as list items.
As you can with any list on a Microsoft Windows SharePoint Services site, you are able to customise its settings and continue to add data to it.
To create a SharePoint list based on a spreadsheet, you can easily import a list from Microsoft Excel. In this example, I am working with SharePoint and Excel 2010.
To begin, under the Site Actions menu, choose More Options and then Lists. From this point onward, follow the steps below.
- Under Custom Lists, click Import Spreadsheet. In the Name box, type a name for the list. The list name is required.
Note: The name appears at the top of the list page and becomes part of the web address for the list page. It also appears in navigational elements that help users to find and open the list.
- In the Description box, type a description of the purpose of the list. The description is optional but is always a good idea.
- In the Import from Spreadsheet section, click in the File location box. Click Browse to find the spreadsheet file that contains the list that you want to import, and then click Open.
- Now, click Import.
- In the Import to Windows SharePoint Services list dialogue box, enter the range of cells that you want to use for your list. Depending on your spreadsheet program, you may be able to select the range of cells that you want directly in the spreadsheet.
- In the Import to Windows SharePoint Services list dialogue box, click Import.
Typically, the columns are set up on the SharePoint site based on the type of data that they contain. After you import a list, however, you should inspect the columns and data to make sure that everything was imported as you expected. For example, you may want to specify that a column contains currency rather than just a number. To view or change the list settings, open the list, and then click List Settings on the Settings menu.
To learn more, have a look at New Horizons' SharePoint training courses.