Applying to study in Australia is an exciting prospect! The most important thing you need is a student visa.

Before you can apply for a student visa, you will need a Confirmation of Enrolment letter (sometimes called a CoE or eCoE).

First decide which Qualification to study, then apply to New Horizons Australia Institute of Technology. We will review your application, and if you meet the eligibility criteria, and have paid your enrolment fee we can issue a Confirmation of Enrolment letter. You can then apply for your student visa with the Australian Government.

If you already have your Confirmation of Enrolment letter, click here to start the visa application process.

Visa Information

Applying for a visa

The body responsible for visa arrangements in Australia is the Department of Immigration and Border Protection.

If you’re looking to study IT in Australia, then bookmark this page.

If you are over 18 years of age and intend to study in Australia you will need to apply for the student visa (subclass 500). Please note, New Horizons does not accept students under the age of 18 years at the time of enrolment.

Information on how to apply for a subclass 500 visa can be found here The Department of Immigration and Border Protection.

Unsure if you are an international or domestic student?

You are a domestic student if you are:

  • an Australian citizen
  • an Australian Permanent Resident (visa status)
  • a New Zealand citizen

You are an international student (and therefore require a visa) if you are:

  • a Temporary Resident (visa status) of Australia,
  • a Permanent Resident (visa status) of New Zealand
  • a Resident or Citizen of any other country


As mentioned, before you can apply for your student visa, you must have received a Confirmation of Enrolment from an Australian Registered Training Organisation. New Horizons is a Registered Training Organisation and our RTO Code is 91656, and our CRICOS Code is 03641J. You will need this code when you apply.

As per the Australian Government website, eligibility for a subclass 500 student visa requires you to:

  • be at least six years of age
  • have been accepted to study at an educational institution in Australia
  • have health insurance
  •   .

English Language Requirements

All international students are expected to meet student visa English language requirements.

A minimum test score of 5.5 is required for New Horizons Australia Institute of Technology. This can be lowered to 4.5 if your test score is combined with at least 20 weeks at ELICOS.

There are 3 main English Language proficiency test systems. New Horizons will accept reports from:

  • International English Language Testing System (IELTS)
  • Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL)
  • Pearson Test of English (PTE)

If you are unsure please just ask the team at New Horizons.

Financial Capacity

Students must meet financial capacity requirements. This means you must have enough money that is genuinely available to pay for travel, course fees and living costs for the period of stay in Australia.

Students will be asked to make a declaration and may need to provide evidence of their financial capacity for the first 12 months.

Health Cover

You must have adequate health insurance while in Australia.

Students can show this by obtaining Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC) which provides medical and hospital insurance.

You will need to arrange OSHC coverage yourself and you will also need to know the policy number to include in your visa application. The OSHC Compare website will provide you with options to consider. You can also look at our partner portal Cohort OSHC here.

You do not need OSHC if you are:

  • a Norwegian student covered by the Norwegian National Insurance Scheme Swedish student covered by Kammarkollegiet
  • a Belgian student covered under the Reciprocal Health Care Agreement with Australia.

Please note, you might need to undergo health examinations as part of the visa application process. The health assessment process can take several weeks to complete. To help avoid delays, you can choose to undertake your health examination prior to lodging your visa application.

Common Questions

How long does a visa last?

Students on a subclass 500 visa will recieve a visa which allows you to stay in Australia for the duration of your course.

What is the cost?

As of 6 September 2017, the cost of a student subclass 500 visa starts at AUD560 but can change at any time. Please visit the Department of Border Protection for the most up to date pricing. This website also provides a Visa Pricing Estimator to help you understand the cost of an application from your country.

Is it possible to extend my visa?

It is possible to lodge an application to extend your visa.

You can only extend your stay in Australia if you do not have a ‘No Further Stay’ condition (8534 or 8535) on your current student visa or this restriction has been waived. You can find out if you have this condition by looking in your visa grant information or through Visa Entitlement Verification Online (VEVO).

Students who pathway from a New Horizons Australia Institute of Technology qualification to a Bachelors or Masters degree may be eligible for a subclass 485 visa, allowing graduates to work in Australia temporarily after they finish their studies. Students should refer to the Australia Department of Immigration and Border Protection website for more information and to determine their eligibility.

Further assistance

If you require further assistance please contact us on +61 2 8263 5900 email us at [email protected] or click the Enquire button above.

By law, only agents located and operating in Australia are permitted to provide advice about migration to Australia if they are registered with Migration Agents Registration Authority (MARA).